Want to learn more?
Contact us today.
Achieving “Best in class” supply chain
“Gartner unveils the third annual Healthcare Supply Chain Top 25. …this research focuses on the healthcare value chain's pursuit of high-quality patient care at optimal economic cost. Cardinal Health has captured the No. 1 spot this year.“
“We remained consistent with last year's methodology to produce a Top 25 ranking for 2011 that strives to identify organizations that use their supply chains to improve the patient care experience.”
Source: Gartner, Inc., The Healthcare Supply Chain Top 25 for 2011, November 2011
For almost 90 years we have distributed medical supplies and devices, physician preference items and life science products. We understand the unique requirements to service healthcare providers. Cardinal Health currently distributes over 450,000 SKUs and has the expertise to support:
- Order fulfillment for products requiring diverse storage mediums and packaging, such as ambient, hazardous, refrigerated and frozen
- Pallet, case and less than case units of measure
Cardinal Health continuously invests in technology that improves productivity, enhances quality and optimizes warehouse space. To manage the order fulfillment process, Cardinal Health utilizes a warehouse management system (WMS) called AIMS (Automated Inventory Management System).
This proprietary system has been customized specifically to meet the unique requirements of the medical supply chain. Our WMS has the flexibility to support product in an unreleased status, lot specific, serial number specific and expiration tracking. The Cardinal Health AIMS system has been recognized by the IT industry as a Premier 100 Best in Class WMS.*
* Source: Computerworld
Cardinal Health is an experienced provider of reverse logistics, whether the return is a result of a damaged product or expired item. Our reverse logistics process provides a high standard of quality and ensures that the product return is completed quickly and accurately.
Our expertise in recall management has been developed through internal audit activities, as well as frequent effectiveness reviews with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- Our large network offers the flexibility to utilize a centralized location, multiple sites and/or a regional approach to reverse logistics.
- Cardinal Health manages approximately 120 corrective actions, 40 product holds and over 3 million returned cases on an annual basis.
Our Replenishment Center (RC) solution receives products from suppliers originating from the Far East for distribution to destinations in North America. This solution provides suppliers with an entry point to the North America supply chain and minimizes lead time to distribution points. Cardinal Health has the experience and capability to support this critical logistical function for products manufactured overseas.
The Southern California RC has the capability to receive shipments through a variety of modes — from parcel, LTL (less than truckload) carrier to ocean container.
- Our 330,000 sq. ft. facility accommodates 30,000 pallet locations.
- We also fulfill orders in pallet or case quantity.
Our state of the art Sample Center, located in Birmingham, Alabama, provides daily order fulfillment with parcel ground and air shipment capabilities. The facility was built to support high volume and low unit of measure (LUM) products. The Sample Center solution is a great value to manufacturers that need the ability to support their sales team with sample products for new product launches or product-focused sales promotions. We also support marketing literature and sample kits.
- Our on time delivery performance for filling sample orders exceeds 98%
- Cardinal Health stocks over 4,000 customer SKUs and fills approximately 8,000 sample product lines each month
- Licensed to ship medical devices and supplies to all 50 states